Located in a downtown neighborhood, this remodeled residence presents a modest front to the street while the interior opens dramatically to views of the Connecticut River below. Designed in the 1950’s by Edgar and Mary Hunter, much of the quality of the original modern design had been lost under aluminum siding and through unsympathetic alterations. The exterior detailing and siding were recreated and the interior was extensively renovated to restore the original understated elegance. The living area ceiling was raised to enhance the sense of space. A master bedroom suite addition with a guest bedroom on the floor below were designed in the spirit of the original house. New lighting, insulation and heating systems improved comfort and convenience. The spare modern details set off the shapes and colors of the owners' furniture.